Rick Steves Florence & Tuscany 2017 PDF
RECENTLY UPDATED FOR 2017! With high-resolution images, videos, maps and a detailed tour itinerary, this is the definitive travel guide to Florence and its Last Supper Frescoes.
Painted onto the walls of monastic dining rooms in the 14th-16th centuries, Florence’s Last Supper frescoes were designed to inspire contemplation on the Christian faith’s greatest mysteries. Still well preserved and quickly toured on any visit to the city, they hold much of their original magic. They are yours to uncover.
What’s in this guidebook
* A tour that goes deeper. Following our tradition of being the most valuable resource for culture-focused travelers, we provide a detailed tour of nine of Florence’s most important Last Supper frescoes executed over a 250-year period by artists Gaddi, Orcagna, Ghirlandaio, Castagno, Perugino, Franciabigio, Sarto and Allori. The tour walks you through the highlights, aided by high-resolution images and a discussion that ties it all together.
* The influence of Leonardo’s Last Supper. We also profile Leonardo da Vinci’s iconic Last Supper fresco in Milan (1496-1498), pointing out how its innovations went on to shape later Florentine representations. Since Leonardo’s work occurs roughly at the midpoint of our timeline of reference, we can assess frescoes before and after its completion, clearly discerning its impact.
* Advice for getting the best cultural experience. To help you plan your visit, this guidebook offers logistical advice and provides links to online resources. Plus, we provide our personal tips for getting the most from your experience while on location.
* Information the way you like it. As with all of our guides, this book is optimized for intuitive, quick navigation; information is organized into bullet points to make absorption easy; and images are marked up with text that explains important features.
* NEW! Customers can now print this guidebook with our new PDF-on-Demand service. See the final chapter in the book for details.
ABOUT APPROACH GUIDES
Travel guidebooks for the ultra curious, Approach Guides reveal a destination’s essence by exploring a compelling aspect of its cultural heritage: art, architecture, history, food, or wine.
PRAISE FOR APPROACH GUIDES
Compulsive (and compulsively informed) travelers, the Raezers are the masterminds behind the downloadable Approach Guides, which are filled with a university course-worth of history and insights for 62 destinations worldwide. WHY WE LOVE IT: The Raezers share our desire for deep, well-researched information on the wonders of the world.
– Travel + Leisure
What started as one couple’s travel notes aimed at filling in the gaps in guidebooks has become ApproachGuides.com – a menu of downloadable travel guides that cover cultural and historical topics of interest to thoughtful travelers. What’s hot: Bite-sized travel guides that specialize in topics ranging from 29 pages on the foods of Italy to one that helps you explore the historical and architectural significance of Angkor’s famous temple structures in Cambodia.
– L.A. Times