This classic collection of carefully selected and edited Supreme Court case excerpts and comprehensive background essays explores constitutional law and the role of the Supreme Court in its development and interpretation. Well-grounded in both theory and politics, it endeavors to heighten students’ understanding of and interest in these critical areas of our governmental system.
New to the 17th Edition
- 9 new cases (including 2 cases from the 2015–2016 term decided by 8 justices) and discussion of 30 additional new cases.
- New case highlights include Sebelius on Obamacare, Obergefell on same sex marriage, and 2 new cases on government surveillance.
- Covers the death of Justice Antonin Scalia and ensuing controversies.
- Updates every chapter-opening essay and end-of-chapter Selected Readings.
- Provides an author-written online Instructor’s Manual with Test Bank, historical Supreme Court documents, noteworthy decisions and dissents, and cases from previous editions.